If you wish to learn about the vision and purpose of SESLYO, please click here.
Even though we had to cancel our 2020 SESLYO Assembly, we wish to invite you to a
VIRTUAL SESLYO ASSEMBLY on Saturday, June 20, 2020.
We invite at least two participants (those just graduating from 6th through 12th grade) from EVERY congregation in our synod. More participants are welcome to attend from the same congregation, but only two folks from each church will have voice AND vote for the agenda items listed below.
Our goals will include
- voting on a new SESLYO Board, (Are you interested in running for a board position? Look BELOW!)
- ratifying our Constitution, By-Laws, and Continuing Resolutions, and
- discuss what we might wish to discuss over the next several months.
We know that this is not the norm, nor do we wish a virtual assembly be the norm.
Rather, we wish for as many as possible to participate in this year's online assembly to launch us into the next year of ministry.
BOARD POSITIONS // ELECTIONS
Here are our 2020-2021 OPEN POSITIONS. Terms are ONE year in length.
- Preside at meetings of the board when chair is absent.
- Assume the chair if the chair should resign before completing the term of office.
- Represent the organization as directed by the chair.
- Be elected with the understanding that he/she they will assume the responsibility for the position of Chair during the second year of his/her their term.
- Work closely with the Chair as training for the next year.
- Record and keep the minutes of all meetings of the board and the annual assembly.
- File regular reports to the Synod Council.
- Be responsible for all correspondence of the organization.
- Be responsible for reporting minutes of all meetings and assemblies to all board members within a month following the meeting or assembly.
|Director of Communications
- Communicate advance notice of all meetings to all participants.
- Work with the Synod Director of Youth Ministry and the webmaster to develop and maintain the www.sesyouth.org web page and a Facebook page and other social media sites.
- Maintain up-to-date data of phone numbers, addresses, and other contact information of all board members and as many assembly attendees as possible.
- Aid in planning of worship and devotion at SESLYO events.
- Work with both clergy, lay adults, and youth to provide spiritual guidance to the SESLYO board.
- Provide theological insight.
- Aid youth in the process of discipleship.
|Person of Color Rep
- The Person of Color Representative should be from one of the following communities; African American/Black, American Indian, Alaskan Native, Arab and Middle Eastern, Asian and Pacific Islander, Latin American and other multi ethnic communities.
- This person shall attend SESLYO Board meetings and other diversity events and report to the Board on these opportunities.
- The purpose of this position is to help SESLYO strive for increased inclusivity and to advocate for the concerns of youth of color and for those whose primary language is other than English.
- The Disabled Youth Representative should be a member of the disabled community.
- This person shall attend SESLYO Board Meetings and other disabled youth events and report to the SESLYO Board on these opportunities.
- The purpose of this position is to help SESLYO strive for increased inclusivity and to advocate for the concerns of youth with disabilities.
- The LGBTQAI+ should be a person who identifies as a member of a sexual minority.
- This person shall attend SESLYO Board Meetings and other LGBTQAI+ events and report to the SESLYO Board on these opportunities.
- The purpose of this position is to help SESLYO strive for increased inclusivity and to advocate for the concerns of youth who identify as a member of a sexual minority.
(1 through 9)
Conference Board Members shall :
- represent the interests of the congregations of their conference
- report back to the congregations of their conference and be responsible for communication between SESLYO and the congregations in their conference
- represent SESLYO and their conference at functions where appropriate or requested
- develop conference-wide events in addition to any all-state gatherings, and
- establish a time for the selection of nominees to the annual SESLYO Assembly
NOTE: When a Vice Chair is elected, that person then becomes the Chair for the following year. Thus, we do not vote on a Chair for the SESLYO Board. Also, the SESLYO Rep to Synod Council is a 2-year term. Our 2019-2020 Rep to Synod Council has completed one year of this two year term. So in 2020, we will NOT hold an election for this position.
These are the Board positions we are NOT electing at the 2020 SESLYO Assembly, but are listed here for your information:
- Preside at meetings of the board and the business meetings of the annual assembly.
- Represent SESLYO at functions of the synod, region, or church-wide, where appropriate or requested.
- Prepare the agenda for all meetings of the board with assistance of the chair-elect.
|Rep to Synod Council
- Serve as a liaison between the board and Synod Council
- Expected to attend SESLYO Board Meetings and Synod Council to inform the Synod Council of SESLYO activities
- Advocate for SESLYO concerns on Synod Council
- Given the opportunity to present on Synod activities and concerns to the SESLYO Assembly
Out of a sense of safety and precaution, we had to cancel our in-person SESLYO Assembly for 2020. We are deeply saddened that we had to take this drastic step, but we believe this was the best way to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus and to care for our youth. Our God guides us and strengthens us and CHOOSES us to do the right thing and to care for one another in this challenging time. We pray for God's guidance. Our SESLYO Executive team and Adult Leaders are working on a path towards election of new officers, and perhaps a way to honor all of the hard work our SESLYO Board put into the workshops they had prepared for this weekend.
+ In Christ, Pr. Michael Jannett, Assistant to the Bishop for Formation and Communication