Voting Members for 2022 Churchwide Assembly to be Elected at 2021 Synod Assembly
The next ELCA Churchwide Assembly (CWA) will be held August 8 – 12, 2022 in Columbus, OH, but synods will be electing their voting members at this year’s synod assembly.
To be considered for one of the voting member positions, biographical forms
must be submitted by Sunday, May 1, 2021
We will have a total of 11 voting members - two of the eleven are automatically allocated to the synod bishop and vice president. The other nine will be elected at our 2021 Southeastern Synod Assembly and include
- 2 Rostered Ministers
- 2 Youth or Young Adults (under age 18 at the time of election OR ages 18-30 at time of election)
- 5 Additional lay persons
The Nominating Committee's goal is to nominate two to four persons for each position. The Committee will consider individual skills and qualifications, as well as our Synod's and CWA inclusivity goals. These goals address the balance between laypersons and rostered ministers, gender, status as a youth or young adult, and racial/ethnic background. Achieving some geographical diversity of nominees will also be a factor in the Nominating Committee's decisions.
Each voting member of our Churchwide Assembly shall be a voting member of a congregation of this church.
Please apply here
. Questions about the CWA nominating process may be directed Questions may be directed to the Nominating Committee Chairperson, Ms. Joan Blanton, firstname.lastname@example.org
or staff liaison, Rev. Karen Boda email@example.com
Responsibilities of Voting Members of our Churchwide Assembly
The Churchwide Assembly of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is its highest legislative authority. Its responsibilities, as described in constitutional provision 12.21, include the following:
- Review the work of the churchwide officers, and for this purpose require and receive reports from them and act on business proposed by them.
- Review the work of the churchwide units, and for this purpose require and receive reports from them and act on business proposed by them.
- Receive and consider proposals from synod assemblies.
- Establish churchwide policy
- Adopt a budget for the churchwide organization.
- Elect officers, board members, and other persons as provided in the constitution or bylaws.
- Establish churchwide units to carry out the functions of the churchwide organization.
- Have the sole authority to amend the constitution and bylaws.
- Fulfill other functions as required by the constitution and bylaws.
- Conduct such other business as necessary to further the purposes and functions of the churchwide organization.
Voting members are elected by Synod Assemblies to serve at the Churchwide Assembly. Their individual responsibilities are to:
- Represent the interests of this whole church to facilitate its mission and ministry
- Seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit and approach the Churchwide Assembly's work with reflection and prayer
- Participate in orientation, both that provided by the synod and that provided by the churchwide organization
- Be present during the entire Churchwide Assembly, attending plenary sessions, worship, hearings, and other assembly-related activities
- Study in advance the Pre-Assembly Report, particularly the reports of officers and the matters on which the Churchwide Assembly will take action
- Listen to presentations and discussion and be prepared to participate responsibly
- Exemplify servant leadership in words, life-style, and manner of leadership, recognizing accountability to the Triune God, the whole Church, each other, and to the Churchwide Assembly as a whole
- Provide reports about the Churchwide Assembly to congregations and others within the synod
ALL TENNESSEE 2020 - November 14
For all youth in 6th through 12th grades
THIS EVENT WILL BE HELD IN A HYBRID FORMAT!!!
MORNING SESSION: on your own, in your household, or with your youth group (if you are gathering in-person, physically distanced, of course). Suggested start time is 10:00am EST / 9:00am CST.
AFTERNOON SESSION: we gather via ZOOM at 3:00-4:30pm EST / 2:00-3:30pm CST
CONCERT WITH RACHEL KURTZ: after our afternoon session, Rachel Kurtz will join in our ZOOM call to lead a concert!!!
So cool! So excited!
PLUS, we get to reveal the theme that SESLYO developed for our 2020-2021 youth events for the synod...Accept. Embrace. Spread Grace.
Cost? FREE, since this event is a hybrid event, with part in-person / part-online
Who Can Come? This gathering is for 6th-12th graders from congregations in the WHOLE SOUTHEASTERN SYNOD,
but especially for the Lutherans and friends of TENNESSEE. ALL are welcome.
This year, we are taking registrations on an INDIVIDUAL BASIS, NOT through a congregational registration.
To see information from prior years, scroll down...
ALL TENNESSEE 2019 - November 9-10
Check out the pictures from 2019 All TN HERE
All TN 2019 took place at Trinity LC, Tullahoma, TN
ALL TENNESSEE 2018
122 youth and adults met November 10 & 11 at Trinity Lutheran Church in Hixson, Tennessee for All Tennessee. During the event youth from across Tennessee gathered to learn more about the "GODISNOWHERE" theme by participating in different activities throughout Saturday afternoon. Youth looked at where God was through an interactive Stations of the Cross activity, they also got to ask Pastor Ed Myers and Pastor Katherine Museus any question they wanted to ask, they learned about how we can be God's hands in the midst of disasters through the work of Lutheran Disaster Relief and put together hygiene kits for Lutheran World Relief. To finish out their service that day they moved mulch on to the church's playground. Worship started with a group of youth from Christ Kiswahili Lutheran Mission leading in song and during the confession participants were invited to take a piece of string to represent their confession and tie it on nails that formed "GODISNOWHERE" - a powerful way to see that God comes to us in the midst of our brokenness and as we communed together we saw God come once again in the body and blood of Christ. Special thanks to the volunteers of Trinity Lutheran Church for their hospitality and meals, as well as the ALL Tennessee planning team for their hard work putting it all together.