The 2018 ELCA Southeastern Synod Leadership Convocation will be held October 16 - 18, 2018 at Lutheridge, Arden, NC. Rostered ministers and lay leaders
are encouraged to attend.
: This year we welcome the Rev. Michael L. Burk, Bishop, Southeastern Iowa Synod, as our Keynote Speaker. Rooted in the gathering of God’s people around the means of grace, we will explore what it means to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ in a persistently changing landscape. Informed by scripture, grounded in the sacraments, and reflected in the decisions that we make, the gospel is a much-needed balm for the world’s “sin-sick soul,” and is the singular priority of the church of Jesus Christ.
Bishop Burk is a graduate of Wartburg College (BA), Wartburg Theological Seminary (M.Div.), and the University of Iowa (MA and Ph.D.). In 2001, Dr. Burk was named the “Albert E. Stone Distinguished Alumnus in American Studies” by the University of Iowa.
Prior to his election in 2008, Bishop Burk served as the ELCA Executive for Worship and Liturgical Resources. He was granted an honorary doctor of divinity degree by Wartburg Theological Seminary in recognition of his evangelical leadership, reflected in the development of the worship resource, Evangelical Lutheran Worship,
and in his continuing ministry on behalf of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Bishop Burk contributes to the ELCA’s advocacy efforts on matters related to hunger and poverty and he has served as the Vice Chair of the ELCA Conference of Bishops.
Ordained in 1987, Bishop Burk served as pastor to congregations in Iowa until moving to Chicago to take up his work on behalf of the ELCA Churchwide Organization. He is a member of the North American Academy of Liturgy (NAAL) and an at-large member of the Consultation on Common Texts (CCT). He currently serves on the boards of Lutheran Services in Iowa, Grand View University, Luther College, and UnityPoint Health - Des Moines.
Wednesday Free Time Options
Hiking with the Bishop
- details will be provided during the announcements at the Convocation.
New Belguim Brewery Tour
- Voted #1 Best Brewery Tour in the US (USA Today Readers' Choice Award 2018)
. Contact Pr. Tim Wrenn
if you would like to go. Don't wait too long because space is limited! The tour will last 90 minutes and is free. Beer samples are included in the tour. Children are welcome but, of course, only those 21+ can enjoy the samples.
Contact Pr. Jill Henning
or Deacon Michelle Angalet
if you have a tour or outing you would like to organize and have added to this list.
Online registration is closed. Please call NovusWay Ministries at 825-209-6301 to register. A quick summary of this year's offerings may be found below:
- 2018 SE Synod Convocation - Participant Staying On-Site - October 16-18 - $225.00/$260 after 9/15
- Sunday - Early Arrival - $50.00 (no meals)
- Monday - Early Arrival - $25.00 (dinner Monday and breakfast Tuesday included)
- 2018 SE Synod Convocation - Participant Commuting - October 16-18 - $175.00/$210 after 9/15 (includes meals)
- 2018 First Call - October 15 - 16
- 2018 Dean's Retreat - October 15 - 16
- 2018 Boundary Training - October 18, 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- 2018 Interim Pastors Gathering - October 18 - $80.00
- 2018 SE Synod Convocation - Spouse of Participant Staying On-Site - October 16-18 - $100.00
- 2018 SE Synod Convocation - Child/Youth of Participant Staying On-Site - October 16-18 - $50.00
General questions about the Convocation may be directed to Ms. Carolyn Davis, firstname.lastname@example.org
, 404 589-1977. For assistance with registration, please contact NovusWay, email@example.com
, 828-209-6301. A YouTube registration tutorial is also available here