Focusing on the theme "Preaching in Such a Time as This: Kairos, Truth, and Prophetic Gospel,"
the Southeastern Synod's rostered ministers and lay leaders will hold its 2019 Leadership Convocation, October 15 -17, at Lutheridge, Arden, NC.
Our keynote speaker, the Rev. Dr. Sam Giere, Wartburg Theological Seminary, will offer a series of presentations during which we will "explore the proclamation of Jesus Christ in such a time as this (Esther 4:14), by discerning 'the times,' considering the relationship of trust and truth, and engaging the prophetic nature of the gospel of Jesus Christ."
This year's convocation brings changes and opportunities listed below:
- One-on-one with Bishop Strickland - Four, 30-minute segments are being provided to meet one-on-one with Bishop Kevin Strickland. (Note: You may also contact Ms. Carolyn Nottingham Davis, email@example.com or 404-589-1977, extension 235, to schedule a synod office or telephone call appointment with the Bishop.)
- One-on-one with the Rev. Karen Boda, Assistant to the Bishop for Congregational Life - Four, 30-minute segments are being provided to meet one-on-one with Pastor Boda to discuss MOBILITY. (Note: Beginning September 2019, you may contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-589-1977, extension 226, to address mobility, Global Mission and other areas for which she has oversight.)
- First Call Gathering - The gathering, led by Pastor Michael Jannett, will take place on Tuesday, October 15 from 10:00 a.m. to noon.
- Free Time Events - You are welcome to spend your free time on Wednesday afternoon as you please or join one of the organized outings: Hiking with Rossing; Chat and Chill with the Bishop; Groce and Jones Go Golfing.
- Interim Pastors' Gathering - The gathering, led by Pastor Delmer Chilton, will take place on Thursday, October 17 from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
- Registration - Registration will be processed online via the synod office as opposed to through Lutheridge. Following the link here, you will be able to register your participation, request lodging, make a payment, schedule a one-on-one session, and register to participate in one of the organized Free Time events should you choose. Registration is open through September 30. Please contact Ms. Carolyn Nottingham Davis should you have registration questions.
ALL TENNESSEE 2018
122 youth and adults met November 10 & 11 at Trinity Lutheran Church in Hixson, Tennessee for All Tennessee. During the event youth from across Tennessee gathered to learn more about the "GODISNOWHERE" theme by participating in different activities throughout Saturday afternoon. Youth looked at where God was through an interactive Stations of the Cross activity, they also got to ask Pastor Ed Myers and Pastor Katherine Museus any question they wanted to ask, they learned about how we can be God's hands in the midst of disasters through the work of Lutheran Disaster Relief and put together hygiene kits for Lutheran World Relief. To finish out their service that day they moved mulch on to the church's playground. Worship started with a group of youth from Christ Kiswahili Lutheran Mission leading in song and during the confession participants were invited to take a piece of string to represent their confession and tie it on nails that formed "GODISNOWHERE" - a powerful way to see that God comes to us in the midst of our brokenness and as we communed together we saw God come once again in the body and blood of Christ. Special thanks to the volunteers of Trinity Lutheran Church for their hospitality and meals, as well as the ALL Tennessee planning team for their hard work putting it all together.